Symbioun's capabilities in building mobile solutions range from standalone mobile applications development to smart-phone based, transaction intensive, mission critical solutions. We have been innovators and early adopters of mobile technologies in diverse industry applications.
- One of the first mobile payment solutions
- Video ringtone
- Non-GPS location aware application
- Secure Bluetooth P2P communication for financial transactions
- Mobile based live video feeds
- Identification of platform for initial rollout
- Product development and testing
- Platform expansion
- Ongoing product maintenance
Symbioun has gained significant experience in creating test automation for mobile applications using real phones, and services such as DeviceAnywhere and Nokia's Remote Device Access (RDA). We have tested multiple mobile devices ranging from low-end Java phones to smartphone models from Blackberry and iPhone. In addition, we have tested mobile applications on all leading US carriers - Verizon, AT&T,T-Mobile, as well as other leading carriers like Orange.
Symbioun Best Practices for Mobile Test Automation
Test Automation can be a costly exercise in the absence of planning and well defined ROI goals. As a practice, symbioun takes up mobile test automation projects only after understanding several parameters such as the stability of the application being tested, roll-out plan for the product (device, carriers, geographic markets), and customer's plan for ongoing automation script maintenance. Some of the best practices we have adopted include:
- Perform manual functional testing until the application is stable. Never take up test automation without cost-benefit analysis.
- Identify target mobile devices and carriers and evaluate ROI. Products that have a fairly stable interface and require regular rounds of testing are good candidates for automation.
- Define mobile test automation priorities as well as long-term / short-term goals upfront and get a sign-off from the customer.
- The key to mobile test automation success is planning. Creation of scripts quickly through record and playback does not provide for a library of maintainable automation scripts.
- For long term usage and ROI, test cases should be independent of mobile devices with scripts written for all common test cases across mobile device models.
- Focus on writing automation scripts that are independent of font / theme settings, screen resolution and other user defined parameters.
- Use emulator-based testing as a part of the unit testing process, while formal software validation is performed on a real mobile device.
- And most importantly, mobile test automation is done by software engineers with good coding skills.
- Symbioun's Mobile Product Framework
Symbioun has 'productized' some of the core mobile applications and has made it available as a product framework for our customers.
Symbioun's Mobile Platform is a pre-built product framework that can be rapidly deployed on a diverse set of mobile platforms. Our 'productized' approach gives our customers significant competitive edge in rolling-out new products faster and cheaper.
The product framework architecture is built in such a way that our customers can customize the implementation in weeks rather than months and is flexible enough to allow specific modules or parts of modules to function as an independent component that can be seamless integrated with our customer's existing infrastructure or product.
- Reusable Components for Increased Productivity
Symbioun has built a set of reusable components for diverse mobile platforms. These components include additional UI controls, communication classes, local/remote storage and synchronization, and multi-lingual support.
- WebMobilizer for Rapid Mobile Deployment
We take your web site to work across mobile browsers. WebMobilizer is a proprietary tool that Symbioun leverages to rapidly extend your web site/application to work on mobile devices. WebMobilizer is a server-side proxy that transforms web site into mobile form factor in real time, saving over 50% in development time.